Amazingly, a recent NerdWallet.com study showed that 70% of consumers have stayed with the same insurance company for more than four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Consumers in California could pocket $500 a year by just comparing quotes, but they don't know the amount of savings they would get if they bought a different policy.
To save the most money, the best way to get more affordable auto insurance rates is to start comparing prices yearly from insurance carriers in Santa Ana. Price quotes can be compared by following these steps.
- Get an understanding of what is in your policy and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many things that increase rates like tickets, at-fault accidents, and a negative credit history can be improved by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Continue reading for more ideas to lower rates and find hidden discounts.
- Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper price is available in Santa Ana. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Tell your current company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to your new agent or company. As soon as you receive it, safely store the certificate of insurance in your vehicle.
One thing to point out is to try to compare the same amount of coverage on each quote and and to compare as many companies as you can. This guarantees a fair price comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Locating the best rates in Santa Ana is actually quite simple. Nearly every driver who wants cheaper auto insurance should be able to find lower rates. Nevertheless, California drivers need to have an understanding of how insurance companies charge you for coverage.
First Step: Get free Chevy Bolt EV insurance quotes
There are several ways of comparing price quotes from many car insurance companies in California. The fastest way to do a complete rate comparison is to perform an online rate comparison.
Getting free price quotes online is quite simple, and it makes it a waste of time to spend time driving to different Santa Ana agent offices. The ability to quote Chevy Bolt EV insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you require the trained guidance of a licensed agent. If you prefer, some companies allow you to find lower rates online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
When comparing car insurance rates, know that comparing all the rates in your area will enable you to find better pricing. Some smaller insurers do not give online rate quotes, so you need to compare prices from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide comparison quotes in California. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the most affordable price.
Car insurance just makes sense
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Santa Ana, buying car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Chevy has a lienholder, more than likely the lender will stipulate that you buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If the policy lapses, the lender will be forced to insure your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and make you pay a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards your Chevy and your assets. It will also reimburse you for many types of medical costs for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you are sued as the result of your driving. If you receive damage to your vehicle caused by a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Bolt EV more than cancel out the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a recent study, the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so compare rates at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Cheap Chevy Bolt EV insurance in Santa Ana
Auto insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some discounts will apply when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be requested specifically before being credited.
- Theft Deterrent System - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices prevent vehicle theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Military Discounts - Being on active deployment in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Driver's Ed - Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them enroll and complete driver's education if it's offered in school.
- Discounts for Federal Employees - Being employed by or retired from a federal job can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to buckle up before driving can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Defensive Driver - Participating in a course teaching safe driver skills could earn you a small percentage discount if you qualify.
- Driving Data Discount - Santa Ana drivers who agree to allow companies to study their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Progressive's Snapshot might get better premium rates if they have good driving habits.
A quick disclaimer, most discount credits are not given to the whole policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like adding up those discounts means a free policy, that's just not realistic.
To locate auto insurance companies who offer discounts in California, click here.
Car insurance agents near you
Some people would rather visit with an insurance agent and that can be a smart move A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is you may find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this quick form, your insurance data gets sent to participating agents in Santa Ana who can give free rate quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. Get lower rates and work with a local agent. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, don't hesitate to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Selecting an insurance company is decision based upon more than just the premium amount. Before buying a policy in Santa Ana, get answers to these questions.
- Do the coverages you're quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- Does the agency have a positive business rating?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in California?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Can you use your own choice of collision repair facility?
Do you need an independent or exclusive auto insurance agent?
When looking for a reliable agent, it's important to understand the types of insurance agents from which to choose. Agencies in Santa Ana are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer.
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive insurance agents receive extensive training on their company's products which can be an advantage.
Listed below are exclusive agencies in Santa Ana that are able to give comparison quotes.
Farmers Insurance Agency: Blake Robbins
3611 S Harbor Blvd #200 - Santa Ana, CA 92704 - (417) 263-1934 - View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not employed by one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with multiple insurance companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and you can keep the same agent. When comparing rates, you need to get some free quotes from at least one independent agent to have the best price comparison.
Shown below are independent agencies in Santa Ana who can help you get comparison quotes.
Nuway Insurance Agency Inc.
410 N Bristol St - Santa Ana, CA 92703 - (714) 953-2117 - View Map
When to get professional advice
When quoting and comparing a policy, there is no best way to insure your cars. Every situation is different and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that could help you determine if you might need an agent's assistance.
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Can my babysitter drive my car?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Auto insurance coverages
Knowing the specifics of a car insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. Policy terminology can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Comprehensive protection - This will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You need to pay your deductible first then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as falling objects, damage from getting keyed and fire damage. The highest amount you'll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it's not worth much more than your deductible it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision - Collision coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You have to pay a deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things like backing into a parked car, sideswiping another vehicle, crashing into a ditch and hitting a parking meter. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to bump up the deductible on your Bolt EV to save money on collision insurance.
Liability insurance - This will cover injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show policy limits of 15/30/5 that means you have $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and $5,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability insurance covers things such as funeral expenses, loss of income, repair bills for other people's vehicles, legal defense fees and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. California state minimum liability requirements are 15/30/5 but it's recommended drivers buy better liability coverage.
The next chart demonstrates why low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage - Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other motorists when they are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. It can pay for hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your Chevy Bolt EV.
Since many California drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (15/30/5), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family.
Medical expense coverage - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage kick in for expenses such as chiropractic care, X-ray expenses, rehabilitation expenses, funeral costs and dental work. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. Personal Injury Protection is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Shop around and save
When shopping online for car insurance, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage only to regret that they should have had better coverage. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
Lower-priced Chevy Bolt EV insurance in Santa Ana can be purchased from both online companies in addition to many Santa Ana insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies may not have price quotes online and many times these smaller companies work with independent insurance agents.
To learn more, link through to these articles:
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Active Military in Santa Ana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Santa Ana Car Insurance Rates for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Santa Ana? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)