Nobody I know gets a kick out of paying for car insurance, in particular when they are paying too much.
It's well known that auto insurance companies don't want you comparing rates. Consumers who do rate comparisons are highly likely to buy a different policy because the odds are good of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A survey found that drivers who regularly shopped around saved about $860 a year compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding discount rates on insurance is why you're reading this, learning how to get price quotes and compare insurance premiums can make it easier to shop your coverage around. Consumers have so many car insurance companies to buy insurance from, and although it's nice to have a selection, lots of choices makes it harder to find the lowest rates for Toyota Corolla insurance in Santa Ana.
You should take the time to compare prices as often as possible because car insurance rates tend to go up over time. Just because you found the best rate on Toyota Corolla insurance in Santa Ana six months ago there is a good chance you can find better prices now. There is lot of inaccurate information about Corolla insurance online, but in this article, you're going to get some of the best ways to slash your car insurance rates in Santa Ana.
Get cheaper Toyota Corolla insurance in Santa Ana with discounts
Companies do not list all their discounts very clearly, so below is a list some of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits that may apply to you.
- Life Insurance Discount - Some companies give a lower rate if you buy a life policy as well.
- Bundle and Save - If you have multiple policies with one insurance company you may save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Paperwork-free - Many auto insurance companies will give you a small discount shop Santa Ana car insurance on the internet.
- No Charge for an Accident - Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies may permit one accident before hitting you with a surcharge so long as you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Military Deployment Discount - Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Senior Citizens - Drivers over the age of 55 are able to get reduced rates.
A quick disclaimer, most credits do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won't be that lucky.
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of Toyota Corolla car insurance costs with and without discounts being applied to the rates. The rate quotes are based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, claim-free, multi-car, homeowner, marriage, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Popular auto insurance companies and their possible discounts are outlined below.
- AAA has discounts for good student, multi-policy, anti-theft, good driver, pay-in-full, and AAA membership discount.
- Progressive offers discounts for homeowner, good student, multi-policy, online quote discount, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm includes discounts for passive restraint, multiple autos, good student, multiple policy, accident-free, student away at school, and defensive driving training.
- Esurance has savings for Pac-12 alumni, homeowner, online quote, Switch & Save, and emergency road assistance.
- Nationwide discounts include Farm Bureau membership, multi-policy, anti-theft, defensive driving, family plan, and good student.
Before buying, ask each company or agent which discounts you may be entitled to. Savings might not be available to policyholders in your state. If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Santa Ana, follow this link.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance isn't really that difficult. All you need to do is take a few minutes to compare rates to find out which insurance company has inexpensive Santa Ana car insurance quotes.
Comparing rates online is fast and free, and it replaces the need to drive around to all the different Santa Ana insurance agencies. Quoting and buying Toyota Corolla insurance online reduces the need to sit down with an agent unless your situation requires the personal advice of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. Some companies do allow you to get the lowest quotes online but still have the advice of a local agent.
The providers in the list below can provide price comparisons in California. If more than one company is shown, it's a good idea that you visit as many as you can to get the cheapest price.
Car insurance statistics and figures
The coverage information displayed next highlights different insurance policy prices for Toyota Corolla models. Understanding more about how insurance policy premiums are established can help drivers make informed decisions when comparing rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, and multi-policy. Information does not factor in specific Santa Ana garaging location which can lower or raise premium rates substantially.
Toyota Corolla full coverage rates compared to liability only
The diagram below shows the difference between Toyota Corolla premium costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The rates are based on no claims or violations, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
When to drop full coverage
There is no definitive formula to eliminate physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Toyota Corolla replacement value is $9,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $8,000 after paying your deductible. If premiums are more than $800 a year for full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not a good plan. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Components of Your Toyota Corolla Insurance Premiums
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the factors that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. When you understand what determines base rates, this allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with lower insurance prices. Multiple criteria are used when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although some other factors are not as apparent such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are.
The items below are just a few of the factors companies use to determine your premiums.
Insurance is expensive for teen drivers - More mature drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets. Young drivers are proven to be inattentive when at the wheel of a vehicle therefore insurance rates are much higher.
The chart below assumes a single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Cheaper rates after marriage - Having a spouse helps lower the price on your insurance bill. Having a spouse may mean you are less irresponsible and statistics prove married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
Traffic violations drive up prices - Your driving citation history has a big impact on rates. Careful drivers get better rates compared to bad drivers. Just one citation can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who have severe violations such as hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may find that they have to to file a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent a license revocation.
The example below demonstrates how traffic citations and at-fault claims raise Toyota Corolla insurance prices for different age groups of insureds. The rates are based on a married female driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
- Multiple policies with one company - The majority of companies provide a discount to policyholders who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount applied, it's still a good idea to check prices from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal. Consumers may find better rates by buying insurance from more than one company.
- File policy claims and pay more - If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Car insurance companies in California provide most affordable rates to drivers who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for the bigger claims that can't be paid out-of-pocket.
- Extra coverages that aren't used - There are quite a few additional extra coverages you can purchase but may not be useful. Coverage for things like replacement cost coverage, high-cost glass coverage, and term life insurance are examples of these. The coverages may be enticing at first, but your needs may have changed so remove them and pocket the money.
- Safety ratings are a factor - Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. These vehicles have better occupant injury protection and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company which can mean better rates for you. If your Toyota Corolla earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an "acceptable" rating on iihs.org it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Your vocation is a factor - Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for insurance? Occupational choices like fire fighters, architects, and dentists tend to have the highest average rates in part from job stress and lengthy work days. On the flip side, professions such as professors, historians and retirees have the lowest average rates.
Toyota Corolla claim probability - Companies analyze claim trends for every vehicle when they calculate premium rates for each model. Vehicles that the data shows to have higher loss trends will have increased rates. The table below illustrates the collected loss data for Toyota Corolla vehicles.
For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, is considered to be 100. Numbers under 100 are indicative of better than average losses, while values that are above 100 point to more losses or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Toyota Corolla Models Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Toyota Corolla 133 111 94 156 158 128BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Don't I need to talk to an insurance agent?
Many drivers still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a smart move Most agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is you can get lower car insurance rates but still work with a licensed agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Santa Ana who will give competitive quotes for your insurance coverage. You don't have to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. If you wish to compare prices from a specific insurance company, just search and find their rate quote page and give them your coverage information.
Deciding on a company is decision based upon more than just a low price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Is the agent properly licensed in California?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Santa Ana?
- Is the agency active in community causes in Santa Ana?
- What is their Better Business Bureau rating?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
If you want a local Santa Ana insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Santa Ana can be categorized as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it's good to learn the difference in how they write coverage because it can impact the type of agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive are contracted to one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company's products which helps them sell on service rather than price.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Santa Ana that can give you price quote information.
Farmers Insurance Agency: Blake Robbins
3611 S Harbor Blvd #200 - Santa Ana, CA 92704 - (417) 263-1934 - View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents are normally appointed by many insurers so they have the ability to put coverage through many companies and get the cheapest rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can just switch to a different company and you won't have to switch agencies.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we recommend you include price quotes from several independent agencies in order to compare the most rates.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Santa Ana who can help you get price quotes.
Barrett Insurance Agency
1438 S Main St - Santa Ana, CA 92707 - (714) 973-9999 - View Map
Why you need to buy car insurance
Even though Santa Ana Corolla insurance rates can get expensive, car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific level of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In California these limits are 15/30/5 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $5,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will require that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Toyota at a much higher rate and require you to pay for it.
- Car insurance preserves not only your Toyota but also your financial assets. It will also cover medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If you have damage to your Toyota as the result of the weather or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. An average driver in America is currently overpaying as much as $800 each year so smart consumers compare quotes once a year at a minimum to save money.
Don't give up on affordable rates
As you prepare to switch companies, it's a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice collision coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Cost effective Toyota Corolla insurance is attainable both online and with local Santa Ana insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies may not have the ability to get quotes online and usually these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agencies.
Steps to finding more affordable Toyota Corolla insurance in Santa Ana
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get the cheapest car insurance rates in Santa Ana is to start comparing prices yearly from insurers that sell auto insurance in California.
- Read and learn about policy coverages and the modifications you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that are responsible for high rates like at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and a negative credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Request rate estimates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates to see if a cheaper price is available in Santa Ana. If you find better rates, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Give notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit payment and a signed application to your new carrier. Once received, keep your new proof of insurance paperwork somewhere easily accessible.
An essential thing to point out is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on every quote and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. Doing this provides a level playing field and a thorough selection of prices.
Helpful learning opportunities
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)
- Who Has Cheap Santa Ana Car Insurance Quotes for College Students? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Female in Santa Ana? (FAQ)
- Medical Payments Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Understanding Car Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)