It's easy to assume that insurance companies want to keep you from shopping around. Consumers who shop for lower rates are highly likely to buy a different policy because they have good chances of finding a more affordable policy premium. A survey found that consumers who compared price quotes annually saved an average of $3,450 over four years as compared to drivers who don't regularly compare prices.
If finding discount rates on insurance in Santa Ana is the reason you're here, then having a good understanding how to find and compare cheaper coverage can save time and make the process easier.
The recommended way to save money on Chevy Malibu insurance is to start doing a yearly price comparison from different companies in Santa Ana.
- Read and learn about the different coverages in a policy and the modifications you can make to keep rates in check. Many risk factors that result in higher rates like multiple speeding tickets and a negative credit rating can be rectified by making minor changes in your lifestyle. This article provides more ideas to lower rates and find overlooked discounts.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers. Begin your rate comparison
- Compare the new rates to your existing policy to determine if you can save on Malibu insurance. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Notify your company or agent of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit payment and a signed application for the new policy. Make sure you store the proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
A valuable tip to remember is to use identical coverage information on every quote and and to get price quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Car insurance providers offering cheap rates in California
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide free quotes in California. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Car insurance data for a Chevy Malibu
The premium information below showcases detailed analysis of prices for Chevy Malibu models. Having insight into how car insurance prices are determined can aid in making smart choices when selecting a policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and California minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-policy. Rate information does not factor in specific location information which can revise price quotes greatly.
Illustration showing the impact of accidents and violations
The diagram below illustrates how speeding tickets and fender-benders can raise Chevy Malibu yearly insurance costs for different insured age categories. The premiums are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Liability only or full coverage
The information below shows the comparison of Chevy Malibu car insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The costs are based on no claims, a clean driving record, $500 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no exact rule of when to exclude physical damage coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Chevy Malibu claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would receive is $7,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are currently paying more than $700 a year for your policy with full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some situations where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Get cheaper Chevy Malibu insurance in Santa Ana with discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there may be some discounts to help offset the cost. Certain credits will be shown when you purchase, but a few must be specially asked for in order for you to get them.
- Anti-theft System - Vehicles that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and earn discounts up to 10% off your Santa Ana auto insurance quote.
- Senior Discount - If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may receive a slight reduction on a Santa Ana auto insurance quote.
- Homeowners Savings - Being a homeowner can earn you a little savings since home ownership requires personal responsibility.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Buying insurance for several vehicles on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Distant College Student Discount - Older children who are attending college and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
- Professional Organizations - Affiliation with qualifying clubs or civic groups could earn you a nice discount on your next renewal.
- Good Student - Being a good student may save you up to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Auto/Life Discount - Some insurance companies give a discount if you purchase some life insurance too.
Remember that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works.
The example below shows the comparison of Chevy Malibu insurance rates with and without discounts applied. The rate quotes are based on a female driver, no accidents or driving violations, California state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, claim-free, marriage, safe-driver, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
Auto insurance companies who might offer some of the discounts shown above are:
If you are trying to find cheaper Santa Ana auto insurance quotes, ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in your area. If you would like to view insurers with discount rates in Santa Ana, follow this link.
It's not one size fits all
When quoting and comparing insurance from an agent or online for your vehicles, there really isn't a "perfect" insurance plan. Your needs are unique to you.
For instance, these questions might point out if your situation could use an agent's help.
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- What is the ISO rating for a Chevy Malibu?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Is my trailer covered?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
If you're not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don't have a local agent, complete this form.
Comparing quotes from local Santa Ana insurance agents
Certain consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get better rates but still work with a licensed agent. And buying from local insurance agents is especially important in Santa Ana.
After filling out this simple form, your information is emailed to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. You never need to contact any agents because prices are sent to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you want to get a comparison quote from a specific company, just go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
What type of Santa Ana auto insurance agent is right for you?
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they function. Insurance agents in Santa Ana can be classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Insurance Agencies
Independent agencies often have affiliation with several companies so they can write business with any number of different companies and find you cheaper rates. If they quote lower rates, they can switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, you should always include a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many independent agencies also insure through additional companies that you may not be familiar with that can offer cheaper rates than bigger companies.
Below is a small list of independent insurance agencies in Santa Ana that can possibly get you pricing information.
- Quality Plus Insurance Agency
1450 N Tustin Ave # 221 - Santa Ana, CA 92705 - (714) 245-1200 - View Map
- Santa Ana Insurance
1331 W 1st St #101 - Santa Ana, CA 92703 - (714) 953-9341 - View Map
- Roberti's Insurance Agency
2128 N Tustin Ave #B - Santa Ana, CA 92705 - (714) 543-2788 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company and some examples include Allstate and State Farm. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company's products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Some people will only purchase coverage from exclusives primarily because of high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
The following is a short list of exclusive agents in Santa Ana that are able to give price quotes.
- State Farm Insurance: Luis Olmedo
600 S Grand Ave #101 - Santa Ana, CA 92705 - (714) 486-3441 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance Agency: Blake Robbins
3611 S Harbor Blvd #200 - Santa Ana, CA 92704 - (417) 263-1934 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance: Wendy Munoz
2441 N Tustin Ave - Santa Ana, CA 92705 - (714) 550-1100 - View Map
Picking an insurance agency is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Are claims handled at the agent's location?
- Can you contact them at any time?
- Does the agent have professional designations like CIC, CPCU or AIC?
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- What companies can they write with?
Information about specific coverages
Learning about specific coverages of your policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. Car insurance terms can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Comprehensive insurance will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims such as hitting a bird, a broken windshield and hail damage. The maximum payout you'll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Collision insurance pays to fix your vehicle from damage resulting from a collision with an object or car. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like sustaining damage from a pot hole, colliding with a tree, crashing into a building and backing into a parked car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from older vehicles. It's also possible to increase the deductible on your Malibu in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses for things like rehabilitation expenses, doctor visits, chiropractic care and nursing services. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other people or property that is your fault. It protects you against other people's claims, and does not provide coverage for damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see policy limits of 15/30/5 which stand for $15,000 bodily injury coverage, a limit of $30,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $5,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which limits claims to one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability insurance covers claims such as funeral expenses, medical services, legal defense fees, structural damage and attorney fees. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but you should buy higher limits if possible. California requires drivers to carry at least 15/30/5 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why buying the state minimum limits may not be adequate.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and damage to your Chevy Malibu.
Because many people only carry the minimum required liability limits (15/30/5), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Car insurance savings summarized
Cheap Chevy Malibu insurance in Santa Ana is available online as well as from insurance agents, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who may not offer the ability to get quotes online and usually these smaller companies work with local independent agents.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, being labeled a high risk driver, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or denial of a claim. It doesn't matter why you want to switch finding a great new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
When searching for inexpensive Santa Ana auto insurance quotes, it's a bad idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not skimp to save money.
Additional detailed information can be read in these articles:
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Learners Permit in Santa Ana? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Santa Ana Auto Insurance Rates for a Toyota 4Runner? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Handicapped Drivers in Santa Ana? (FAQ)
- How Much is Santa Ana Auto Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Low Mileage Drivers in Santa Ana? (FAQ)
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)